Event 3


Event 3

New Wight Gallery: “Weak or No Signal”

This week I was privileged to visit the New Wight Gallery on UCLA’s campus. The gallery exhibited a unique collection called “Weak or No Signal.” Weak or No Signal is the UCLA DESMA final MFA showcase of the graduate’s work of 2018. To be completely honest, I had no idea that the New Wight Gallery even existed before this assignment. I was extremely glad I found out about this resource on campus as I was with the other events I was required to do for this class.


Me observing an electronic tire, showing the scientific variance between each repetition.

The best part about this exhibit was that it showed a vast variety of different artwork. There were 22 pieces on hand by several different artists, so it had something for almost everyone. Some of the work was even interactive, so it made it more enjoyable for students such as myself, as I am not typically into art. Based on research of some of the artists included on the pamphlet I picked up on the way out, they seem to be very experienced in the correlation between art and technology. As I am not, it was a bit tough to comprehend some of the pieces. While I am confident that I was unable to pick up the entire meaning of some of the exhibit, I was much better off after having spend 8 weeks in this class. As I was unsure of some of what I was seeing, the pamphlet helped me by explaining that the exhibits “articulated contemporary subject matters, from hyper-mediated social relationships to artificial intelligence; technological utopianism; and the increasing fallibility of the image.”

Broad Art Museum, the site of “Weak or No Signal”

My favorite piece was the one by Christina Yglesias, a visual arts creator from Los Angeles (linkedin). This was a film work showing how romance is shown in film. Specifically, she focused on a romance scene from “Flesh and the Devil” (Flesh and the Devil). She basically took a scene and recreated how she saw it, so it was a unique piece of art that I had not seen before.

Me observing the work by Christina Yglesias     

    Up close and personal with another piece of art.


Overall, I was pleased with my visit to Broad because it opened my eyes to things that I had not seen before. In addition, it gave me the opportunity to see a part of UCLA that I didn't know existed. I appreciate this kind of assignment because it is different than the typical and is more hands-on, so I learn more. If anything, I have been able to at least be exposed to a realm that I was not previously interested in.





“Broad Art Center.” UST Projects-UCLA, www.ust.ucla.edu/ustweb/Projects/PROJECTS/ucla/broad_img1.htm.

“Flesh and the Devil (1926).” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/title/tt0016884/

www.linkedin.com/in/christinayglesias.





Comments

Popular Posts